- 4 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- Pinch of salt
- 60 grams sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 125 grams all purpose (plain) flour
- 0.5 teaspoon baking powder
- Sugar, for sprinkling
For the filling :
- 150 grams spoonable heavy (double) cream
- 250 grams mascarpone cheese
- 15 grams cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 100 grams sugar
- 250 ml whipping cream
- Chocolate-coated coffee beans, for decoration
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, for dusting
* Preheat the oven to 200'C. Line a baking pan (tin), measuring 38 X 25 X 2 cm, with parchment paper.
* To make the sponge, separate the eggs. Whisk the egg whites and salt together until stiff. Put the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract into a large bowl and beat together until foamy. Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir into the mixture. Fold in the whisked egg whites. Spread the batter smoothly into the prepared baking pan.
* Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Turn out on to a tea towel sprinkled with sugar. Pull of the baking parchment and roll the sponge up with the tea towel. Leave to cool.
* For the filling, put the spoonable cream, mascarpone cheese, cocoa powder, instant coffee powder and sugar in a large bowl and stir together until the coffee has dissolved. Whisk the whipping cream until stiff and fold about four-fifths into the mixture.
* Spread the coffee cream on the sponge and roll up. Chill well before serving. Dust with cocoa powder and decorate with the reserved cream piped on top and the chocolate-coated coffee beans.