Lemon Meringue Pie
A combination of tangy lemon and soft meringue, this is a classic dessert, which is ideal for both dinner parties and family meals.
For the Pie Dough :
- generous 1 cup all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 85 grams butter, cut into small pieces, plus extra for greasing
- 0.25 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- finely grated rind of 0.5 lemon
- 0.5 egg yolk, beaten
- 1.5 tablespoons milk
For The Filling :
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1.25 cups water
- juice and grated rind of 2 lemons
- generous 0.75 cup superfine sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
* To make the pie dough, sift the flour into a bowl. Rub in the butter with the fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Mix in the remaining ingredients. Knead briefly on a lightly floured counter. Let rest for 30 minutes.
* Preheat the oven to 180'C. Grease a 20 cm pie dish with butter. Roll out the pie dough to a thickness of 5 mm , use it to line the base and sides of the dish. Prick all over with a fork, line with parchment paper and fill with dried beans. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and take out the paper and beans. Reduce the temperature to 150'C.
* To make the filling, mix the cornstarch with a little of the water. Place the remaining water in a pan. Stir in the lemon juice and rind and cornstarch paste. Bring to a boil, stirring. Cook for 2 minutes. Let cool a little. Stir in 5 tablespoons of the sugar and the egg yolks and pour into the pastry shell.
* Whisk the egg whites in a clean, greasefree bowl until stiff. Whisk in the remaining sugar and spread over the pie. Bake for another 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool, and serve.