Chocolate Rum Truffles
- 300 grams good quality dark chocolate, finely chopped.
- 100 ml thick (double) cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or essence
- 25 ml dark rum
- cocoa powder, to dust
* Put the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Place the cream and vanilla in a small saucepan and heat until it is just at boiling point. Pour the cream directly over the chopped chocolate. Gently mix with a whisk until the mixture is smooth. If there are any lumps, place the bowl over a pan of barely steaming water, off the heat, and lightly stir for a moment to melt any remaining chocolate. Mix in the rum and refrigerate the ganache until it is set.
* Form the ganache into small balls using a melon baller, or pipe it into small balls using a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle. Return to the refrigerator to set. Roll the balls between your palms to form a perfect ball, then roll in the cocoa powder, using a fork to roll them around until evenly coated.
*** Since these truffles are not dipped in chocolate before they are rolled in the cocoa powder, they should be eaten within 2-3 days. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Roll the truffles in the cocoa powder a second time before serving.