Forest Fruit Pie
Pie Dough :
- scant 1.375 cups all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- generous 0.25 cup ground hazelnuts
- 100 grams butter , cut into small pieces, plus extra for greasing
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1.625 cups blueberries
- 1.625 cups raspberries
- 1.625 cups blackberries
- 0.5 cup superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, to decorate
- whipped cream, to serve
* Place the fruit in a pan with 3 tablespoons of the superfine sugar and let simmer gently, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
* Sift the flour into a bowl, then add the hazelnuts. Rub in the butter with the fingertips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs, then sift in the remaining sugar. Add the lemon rind, egg yolk, and 3 tablespoons of the milk and mix. Turn out onto a lightly floured counter and knead briefly. Wrap and let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
* Preheat the oven to 190'C. Grease an 20 cm pie dish with butter. Roll out two-thirds of the pie dough to a thickness of 5 mm and use to line the base and side of the dish. Spoon the fruit into the pastry shell. Brush the rim with water, then roll out the remaining pie dough to cover the pie. Trim and crimp round the edge, then make 2 small slits in the top and decorate with 2 leaf shapes cut out from the dough trimmings. Brush all over with the remaining milk. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the confectioners ' sugar and serve with whipped cream.