Hazelnut Cream Pies
These elegant little pies look particularly attractive with their sprinkling of chopped toasted hazelnuts.
They make a terrific dessert as well as a delicious teatime or coffee-time treat.
For Pie Dough :
- scant 1 cup all purpose flour
- 115 grams butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 small egg yolk
- 2-3 teaspoons cold water
For The Filling :
- 3 egg yolks
- 0.25 superfine sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
For The Topping :
- 90 grams chocolate
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 0.25 cup heavy cream
- generous 0.5 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
* To make the pie dough, sift the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter and sugar until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add the egg, and a little cold water to form a dough. Wrap the dough and let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
* Roll out the pie dough and use it to line an 8 cup muffin pan. Let chill in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 190'C. Bake the pies for 12-15 minutes. Let cool in the muffin pan.
* To make the filling, beat the egg yolks and superfine sugar in a heatproof bowl until pale and thick, add the flour, a little at a time, and mix to combine. Bring the milk to a boil and pour it over the egg mixture, whisking all the time, and beat well. Pour back into a clean pan and bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute, then pour into a cold bowl and stir. Let cool, stirring occasionally.
* To make the topping, melt the chocolate with the honey in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. When melted, remove from the heat and stir in the cream. Let cool.
* Spoon the filling into each pie, cover with the melted chocolate mixture, and sprinkle with the hazelnuts. Transfer to a serving dish and serve.