Vanilla Cheese Cakes
This rich yet light cheesecake is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.
- 60 grams butter
- 225 grams digestive biscuits, finely crushed
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 675 grams full fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 eggs, separated
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 500 ml soured cream
- kiwi fruit slices, to garnish
* Preheat the oven to 180'C. Lightly grease or line the base of the springform tin with greaseproof paper.
* Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Add the biscuit crumbs and demerara sugar and stir until blended. Press the crumbs over the base of the tin.
* Combine the cream cheese, egg yolks, 150 grams of the caster sugar, and the vanilla in a bowl and beat until blended. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture. Pour the mixture into the tin and smooth the top.
* Place the tin in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until just set in the middle. Remove the tin from the oven and leave it to stand for 10 minutes, or until it sinks back into the tin.
* Meanwhile, combine the soured cream and remaining sugar in a bowl, and beat until the sugar has dissolved. Pour on top of the cheesecake and smooth the surface. Increase the oven temperature to 240'C, return the cheesecake to the oven and continue baking for a further 5 minutes. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack, then cover and chill for at least 6 hours. When ready to serve, garnish with slices of kiwi fruit.