Mississippi Mud Pie
Pie Dough :
- scant 1.625 cups all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 140 grams butter
- 2 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon cold water
- 175 grams butter
- scant 1.75 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- 150 grams semi-sweet chocolate
- 1.25 cups light cream
- 1 tablespoon chocolate extract
To Decorate :
- scant 2 cups heavy cream, whipped
- chocolate flakes and curls
* To make the pie dough, sift the flour and cocoa into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter with the fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in the sugar and enough cold water to mix to a soft dough. Wrap the dough and let chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
* Preheat the oven to 190'C. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured counter and use to line a 23 cm loose bottom tart pan or ceramic pie dish. Line with parchment paper and fill with dried beans. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and take out the paper and beans. Bake the pastry shell for an additional 10 minutes.
* To make the filling, beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl and gradually beat in the eggs with the cocoa. Melt the chocolate ( to melt the chocolate, break it into small pieces and place in a heatproof bowl, set over a pan of barely simmering water, do not let the base of the bowl come into contact with the surface of the water ) and beat it into the mixture with the light cream and the chocolate extract.
* Reduce the oven temperature to 160'C. Pour the mixture into the pastry shell and bake for 45 minutes, or until the filling has set gently.
* Let the mud pie cool completely, then transfer it to a serving plate, if you like. Cover with the whipped cream.
* Decorate the pie with chocolate flakes and curls and then let the chill until ready to serve.