Lemon Poppy Muffins
- 375 grams plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 140 grams unsalted butter
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 350 ml plain yogurt
For the topping :
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 120 grams icing sugar
Extra equipment :
- muffin cases
- muffin baking tray
* Preheat the oven to 190'C.
* Put the muffin cases in the muffin baking tray.
* Grate the lemon, but be careful not to grate any of the white pith. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a bowl and set aside.
* Mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and poppy seeds, and set aside.
* In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together, beating until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the lemon zest and then beat in half of the dry ingredients and half of the yogurt.
* Next, beat in the remaining dry ingredients followed by the remaining yogurt.
* Spoon the mixture into the paper cases, and bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
* For the icing, put the icing sugar into a bowl with the lemon juice. Mix together well, until it forms a smooth paste.
* While the muffins are still warm, spoon a little of the icing over each one. Leave to cool completely.
The twelve lemon poppy muffins are ready to be served.