Rainbow Whoopie Pies with Rainbow Butter Cream
- 75 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 150 grams caster sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 275 grams plain flour
- 0.75 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 0.125 teaspoon salt
- 145 ml buttermilk
- 5 food colourings
For The Filling :
- 80 grams unsalted butter
- 250 grams icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 food colourings
Extra equipment :
- 5 piping bags
- 2 small piping bags
- 1 large piping bag with a large round nozzle
* Preheat the oven to 180'C.
* Grease the whoopie pie trays with a little butter.
* Cream the softened butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy, then gradually add the beaten egg and vanilla extract.
* Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt together in another bowl.
* Gradually add a third of the dry ingredients to the mixture, followed by a third of the buttermilk. Continue adding both alternately and mix well until all of the ingredients are combined to form a thick, smooth cake mixture. Be careful not to overmix.
* Separate equal measures of the prepared cake mixture into five bowls and add different food colourings to each bowl, mixing well.
* Transfer the different coloured cake mixtures into piping bags (do not cut the end until the bags are filled).
* Cut the tip of each bag and squeeze out a small amount of coloured cake mix into each pie tray compartment. Repeat this process with each colour until the tray is full.
* Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
* Cool for 5 minutes in the trays before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For The Filling :
* Beat the butter and icing sugar together for a few minutes using a hand whisk or an electric mixer until well mixed.
* Add the milk and beat together until the buttercream is light and fluffy.
* Separate the icing into two bowls and colour with two contrasting rainbow colours.
* Fill two small piping bags with the different coloured icing. Then snip the ends of both bags and insert them into the large piping bag.
* Carefully pipe the icing onto one half of the rainbow whoopie, ensuring that both colours are visible. Sandwich together and enjoy the eight yummy pies.